Look and feel the base of your furniture? Can you feel a round spring or a zigger? Put your hand underneath and see if you feel the springs. Coil springs and eight way hand tied is the best construction. Is the furniture heavy? Weight usually denotes hard wood frame construction and a piece that is worth recovering. I usually recommend that if your furniture was not a very expensive piece to begin with maybe it is best to not invest in upholstery.
When you supply your own fabric that is called COM, customer’s own material. We charge a cutting fee of 10.00 per yard plus our basic labor rate.
On upholstery it is a good idea to come into our showroom to choose your fabric before we quote the job. You can also email us a picture and we can give an ball park estimate.
We can give ball park figures over the phone but it is impossible to know exact costs until you pick out the fabric or we actually see the piece that we will be working on.
The biggest variable in upholstery is what we will have to do to your cushions. Many different kinds of density on foam rubber. I tell my clients. “Can you imagine the foam difference on a $7000.00 sofa compared to a $750.00 sofa?
Kids, pets and daily wear and tear make it difficult to keep furniture looking like it did the day you brought it home from the store. But with a small investment of time into proper furniture maintenance, you can extend the life of your furniture. Regular furniture care goes a long way toward maintaining your furniture between professional cleaning visits. Here are a few furniture cleaning and furniture care tips that everyone can use:
• Vacuum upholstered furniture with a light brush to remove dust particles, as well as food and dirt that may go unnoticed. This prevents the unwanted dirt and grime from settling into the fibers, which can happen easily if it hides in the cracks and crevices of your furniture.
• Rotate any cushions to prevent over-use in certain areas.
• Refrain from washing cushion covers in the washing machine as this may cause fading, shrinking and fabric deterioration.
• Keep furniture away from direct sunlight as it could cause fading.
• Avoid placing items like newspapers on upholstered furniture as they may discolor the fabric.
• Keep a watchful eye on certain dark-colored blankets and throws that could transfer their color to the fabric on your furniture.
• Clean and use furniture polish on wood furniture to help protect it from scratches and abrasions. Dust attracts moisture, which can soften the furniture if it accumulates and cause permanent damage.